Friday, March 22, 2013

Is it really a Man's world when it comes to cheating?

I went to a store to buy a DVD yesterday, and I stepped into a heated conversation amongst all the men there. Topic of discussion; what they would do if they ever caught their wives cheating. Some who weren’t so passionate about the topic said they would simply tell her to pack up and leave the house, or they would let her be, but make her life a living hell, while others who were so passionate that they were almost frothing from the mouth said they would strip her naked on the street and give her the beating of her life or even kill her and blah blah blah…

 I was the only woman there so I dared to ask if the same punishment should be meted out to the men
from the women if given the same situation and I almost got mobbed for saying something like dat. After they had managed to curtail their anger for my perceived effrontery and temerity at asking such an impertinent question they gave me their answers;

 One said that “being an African man, I am allowed to have as many wives and mistresses as I possible can handle, so my wife has no right to question me”.

 Another said “it’s a man’s world, and my wife just has to forgive me or look the other way”.

 Yet another said “if mama Bose wants to leave, she’s free to, after all she will be the one to suffer it, being a woman and all”.

 Yet another said “it’s not a crime if I cheat, after all God made us to be polygamous by nature, but it’s an abomination for a woman to cheat because they are not created that way” .

 I had to leave them with their chauvinistic attitude amidst shouts of “it’s a man’s world” and “no go try am with your husband o, e go just kill you for house”!

 This reminded me of the gospel of last Sunday in church, where a woman was about to be stoned to death for committing adultery, and no one said anything about the man who she committed it with, as if they did not both commit the same crime.

What’s your take on this topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

please drop a comment and let me know what you think.