1. Throwing Babies from a Tower for Good Luck (India)
The annual celebration in observed by Muslims and Hindus in the Indian state of Maharashtra, and it
also takes place in smaller villages throughout the country.
Well, if your baby gets thrown off a 50-foot tower and survives, one would assume he’s indeed quite lucky.
2. Piercing by Sharp Hooks (India)
4. Being Possessed and Convulsing (Haiti)
During the ceremony, worshippers can be “mounted,” or possessed, by a Loa. The Loa will take complete control of the individual and will offer advice, give cures, and deliver prophesies to the assembly. This can be quite a violent occurrence, since the participant can flail about or convulse before falling to the ground.
5. Baptizing a Person on Behalf of One Who is Dead
6. Wearing No Clothes and Using a Peacock Feather Duster (India)
Because women are not allowed to be naked ascetics, Digambaras believe that they cannot reach the level of detachment needed to become liberated. Therefore, a woman must be reborn in a male body to reach liberation.
7. Rolling Over Leftovers of Food Partaken by Brahmins (India)
8. Practicing Group Sex and Masturbation